Monday, July 30, 2012

Baja Fish Tacos- Always Fresh and Delicious!

I’m sure at one point in your life you’ve tried and fell in love with Rubio’s fish tacos. It’s the best chain restaurant taco out there (and I try not to eat at chain restaurants often). Orange County is a hit or miss when it comes to good eats. Add healthy or fresh on top of that, and it makes the search even harder. So it is very fortunate that I found a place like Baja Fish Tacos.

Baja Fish Tacos is the mom and pop restaurant equivalent to Rubio’s Mexican Grill. If you think their fish tacos are bomb, then you’ve got to try this joint. This hole-in-the-wall has become increasingly popular to the locals. Located in a shopping Center off Bristol and MacArthur, Baja Fish Taco’s knows how to hit the spot when it comes to fresh Mexican food. And it’s one of those healthier alternatives. But their food is still good.

One Fish Taco Plate
For my last day at a previous job, my coworkers took me to Baja Fish Tacos. I’ve been coming here ever since (Luckily my current job is not far away from this place). I chose Baja because a friend of mine told me the rice was worth trying. I’m picky with my Mexican food too (especially tacos and enchiladas) but she thoroughly convinced me that it would be worth it. I ordered the one fish taco plate (usually I’d get a two fish taco plate but I wasn’t as hungry for lunch that day) ensenada style (it’s not an option on the menu but just request it and they’ll definitely do it for you). The taco itself was truly AMAZING. It had just enough fish, cabbage and white sauce and the soft shell was perfect. The black beans were just right and I added a bit of lime and salsa to it. They have a fresh salsa bar with these spicy pickled onions that really kicked in your mouth. But the rock star of the entire dish was actually the rice. There must be something in it because my mama does not make her rice like this! And I was right; they add coconut butter/oil to the rice. It's a nice whole food alternative to margarine or regular butter and adds a kick of flavor. This food is not as greasy looking as many Mexican inspired dishes I’ve seen but it sure is appetizing.

Salsa Bar
After the lunch rush
The atmosphere really depends on the time of day. I’ve been there both times. When it’s busy (lunch rush), the service was still quick and good. And because this is a cheap eats place, why wouldn't it be crowded? When it’s after lunch the place is almost empty but the staff will certainly not ignore you. I would say the only difference between lunch rush and other times is the noise level. The service is without a doubt always going to be good any time of the day.

Other Hot Items at Baja Fish Tacos (Tried these as well and they were just as appetizing!)
Chicken Baja Bowl
Chips and guacamole
Blackened Fish Burrito














So all you Rubio’s lovers (who live in OC) should take a chance on this hidden gem. I have favorite fish taco joints in San Diego and Los Angeles- never thought I’d find one in Orange County. Baja Fish Tacos is definitely a restaurant for healthy AND Delicious eats for your happy living.

This Baja Fish Tacos is located in the Shopping center next to Vons off MacArthur and Bristol:
3664 South Bristol Street  Santa Ana, CA 92704
Visit http://bajafishtacos.com/ to find more locations

No comments:

Post a Comment