Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Sipz: A Vegetarian/Asian Fusion Experience

Happy New Year my fellow foodies! Hope you had a relaxing and food-filled holiday! I spent a good amount of my vacation in my hometown, San Diego. I love San Diego and everything about it- the people, the location, the lifestyle, and especially the food. It may not be the top metropolitan foodie city of California, but San Diego’s got its gems for sure. One of them is a mom and pop joint called Sipz - a vegetarian-Asian fusion experience. I come from an Asian culture and I know that the food can be hit or miss with being heavily vegetable influenced or meat influenced, especially with my specific culture. So I thought it was interesting going to a vegetarian/vegan Asian restaurant. Though I can vouch for others when they say Asian food is good but not always healthy (i.e. greasy, fatty, fried). I’ve heard great reviews about Sipz so before I went back to Orange County, some friends took me there for an early birthday dinner.


Let’s start with location. The one we went to was located on 30th street in the North Park, a business district. That said, it’s street parking, but what can you expect at a downtown type of neighborhood? Sipz is on the same block as sports bars and other restaurants that are pleasing to the meat eater. But if you disregard the “Vegetarian” in the sign and actually go inside, you won’t regret it. The place was chic and had a very modern atmosphere. The service was of good quality. We got to experience it during rush and calm rimes since we dined right before and during the dinner rush. My friends were new to vegetarian restaurants and our waiter helped them decide what to eat. The waiter was genuine with his suggestions based on your personal food preferences and he didn’t push them to go for anything pricey; in fact, our waiter kept telling us the better ways to order some things (i.e. Get a FREE Mango Iced Tea with any entree paid for in cash, order a large option instead and share because it’s much cheaper). That sold me right there.

Japanese Fire Noodlez (Mild-Medium)
The menu was 100% vegetarian and I want to say about 40% was vegan (plus gluten-free options). It consisted of Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese and Thai dishes. What I liked was how confident they were to write chicken or shrimp without quotations because obviously you’d know this was vegetarian and the taste would be almost the same. We ordered the Japanese Fire Noodlez and Tangy Orange Chicken to test out the meat. The chicken tasted pretty good and was pretty damn close to the real thing, but I guess the carnivore inside of me still knew it was imitation chicken. That would also probably be due to the fact that I’ve grown familiar to soy than tofu, that I recognized the difference in texture. Nevertheless, the food was delightful. Their ‘no meat’ dishes are packed full of veggies, like the Vietnamese Rice Noodle Soup we ordered, so I would so don’t fret about ordering something with no meat. Pricing is reasonable - less than $20 a dish and it’s a casual setting that happens to be located in a downtown-like neighborhood; so several factors are put into price. But you get what you pay for, which is good tasting vegetarian food for the healthy eater on a budget.

Vietnamese Rice Noodle Soup
Tangy Orange Chicken
Sipz was over all very good experience, even with figuring in my preconceived ideas about vegan or vegetarian ‘meat’. Like what another friend of mine who I was dining with said, the best vegetarian places are the ones where you can leave without feeling totally bloated or bloated at all and feeling good about yourself. Sipz did justice. I’d give it 4 out of 5 stars only for it’s downtown location (parking), but Sipz is definitely a place for healthy eating and happy dining :)


Sipz has 2 locations in San Diego (Neighborhoods: Clairemont and North Park)
www.sipz.com

No comments:

Post a Comment